- La Croix (2004) organ solo 6′
- Commissioned by Robert Lyman in memory of Jeffrey McKay Diamond.
- Premiere—2005, by Ernest Hoffmann, Cincinnati, OH.
- Recorded by James Biery on Espressivo. Order from CD Baby.
- Published by MorningStar Music.
La Croix is a meditative work in memory of Jeffrey McKay Diamond, who died in 2000. In this generally introspective piece, a rising, hopeful figure alternates with gently rolling figuration to prepare the entry of the spiritual “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” a favorite song of the dedicatee. The leave-taking is gradual, drawn out and very tender. While the composer doesn’t intend a particular liturgical use or an association with Passiontide, performance during Holy Week would be appropriate.